How to Smoke Food Indoors – Smoked Scallops
1. Soak your wood chips in water for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Drain the wood chips in a colander.
3. Heat a cast iron pan over high heat and then add your wood chips.
4. While the chips are beginning to get hot, pat dry your scallops and place on an oiled rack that will sit over the smoking hickory chips.
5. Once the wood chips are fully smoking, transfer the chips to another pan with a lid (or keep them in that pan if it is large enough to hold the rack). I used a wok.
6. Place the scallops in the pan and quickly cover the pan. Let them sit for 30 minutes to allow the smoky flavor to infuse into the scallops.
7. Reserve the scallops to cook by your preferred method and remove the wood chips in the pan from your home and place outdoors to cool.
Here is a link that will give you information about the different types of smoking woods available and the suggested foods to pair them with. Best Woods for Grilling.
Stay tuned for the next Cooking Tip as we prepare Smoked Scallops restaurant style at home!