Hotel Londra Palace in Venice, Italy and a recipe for Grilled Scallops and Octopus, Potato Salad and Spinach Sauce
During our last evening at the hotel, we were permitted access to the rooftop balcony that provides a vantage point high above most of the surrounding buildings. The sky was illuminated with the setting sun penetrating the clouds. The buildings were awash with an orange cast and the air cool as the heat from the day faded with the sun. These were some of my last images of Venice. How can you not fall in love with this city?
It is easier to describe the food we dined on than put in words the entire experience that is Venice. The historical significance of the city is fascinating, its beauty stunning. There is a sense of mystery. I came away from this city wanting more. If Venice is not yet on your bucket list, I highly recommend that you visit this gorgeous city.
Chef Loris Indri has shared a recipe for one of their dishes from Restaurant Do Leoni, Grilled Scallops and Octopus, Potato Salad and Spinach Sauce. Very similar in style to the dishes we enjoyed the evening we dined at the restaurant, this recipe combines fresh grilled seafood with simply prepared vegetables and sauces allowing the flavors of the ingredients to shine through. As we saw throughout the Mediterranean, octopus is very common in the fish markets and is on many of the menus in this part of Europe.
* This photograph was courtesy of Hotel Londra Palace.
Disclosure – Hotel Londra Palace provided a media package for our visit. I was not asked to write any articles about my stay and have in no way been compensated. The opinions expressed regarding our experience are my own.
This content is protected under International Copyright Laws. No part (text or images) may be copied or reproduced without the express written permission of the authors at bunkycooks.com. Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
Grilled Scallops and Octopus, Potato Salad and Spinach Sauce
3 pieces scallop
1/2 boiled octopus
1 small boiled potato
100 grams (about 3 1/2 ounces) fresh spinach
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Fresh chopped chives
2 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Sprig of parsley, for garnish
1. Prepare the boiled octopus, cut into pieces about 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) long, take the scallops without coral and shell, and cherry tomatoes cut in half, now with a wooden skewer about 15 cm (6 inches) in length and begin to assemble the skewer (as in the photo) by spacing the octopus, with the scallops and cherry tomatoes.
2. This done, dress with salt and olive oil and grill the skewer, or cook in the oven for about 4 minutes at 180° C (350° F).
3. Use a boiled and peeled potato, cut into slices and dress with mustard, mayonnaise and finely chopped chives.
4. In a tall container with an immersion blender, take the spinach, dress with salt, olive oil and whisk until creamy smooth and emulsified.
5. At this point, the grilled skewer will be ready. Then proceed to the plating the dish from cream of spinach, which will be arranged on the plate as decoration, above it we have the potato salad, and finally the octopus and scallop skewer. Decorate with a sprig of parsley.
Recipe courtesy Chef Loris Indri
Do Leoni Restaurant – Hotel Londra Palace