A Merry Christmas with Red Velvet Cake with Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting!
I hope you are having a joyous holiday season so far this year and that it is filled with good food, great wine and perhaps a little bourbon shared with family and friends. 😉
I spent all day in the kitchen yesterday cooking and baking for today, as I am sure many of you did. If you are like me, spending time in the kitchen gives you a certain peace, particularly during the hectic holidays. It also is a great way to share a part of what you enjoy with others. Today I would like to share this recipe for Red Velvet Cake with Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting.
This is a perfect cake for entertaining. Four layers of chocolatey cake tinted red befitting the holidays. Layered and topped with a decadent coconut frosting, this classic cake is the perfect finale to an evening’s festivities.
To you and yours, we wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Healthy, Happy, and Prosperous New Year!
Red Velvet Cake with Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
8 cups powdered sugar
4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add food coloring and vanilla, beating until blended.
2. Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Spoon batter into 4 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
3. Bake all pans at the same time, with 2 pans on top rack and 2 pans on bottom rack, at 350° for 10 minutes; rotate pans, and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
4. Spread about 1 cup Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting between cake layers; spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake.
1. Beat cream cheese, and butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until smooth. Add coconut extract, beating until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in coconut.
Oh, the cake is stunning, Gwen! Perfect! And I love the addition of coconut to the traditional frosting for this beauty! Wishing you and Mr. B a joyous, merry holiday season and a very healthy, happy and prosperous 2013!! xo
Thank you! I could not stop thinking about making this cake after seeing the photo. Happy Holidays to your family! I know there will be wonderful things coming from your kitchen, too. Best wishes for the New Year and I am hoping we meet again! xo
This is stunning! Merry Christmas. Hope you have an awesome day!
Thank you and have a Merry Christmas!
Sooooo beautiful! I know what I am baking soon 😉 Especially love the coconut cream frosting part. Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you and yours. What a beautiful greeting and inspiration. Wishing all good things back to you and your dear ones. I love this cake and this recipe looks just wonderful. I love the coconut frosting and the heart-to-heart image of your cake to inspire us.
She baked! I love when you bake, Gwen because you have a natural gift..you jut prefer cooking. Now I’m craving Red Velvet cake, mainly because I’m ‘jonesing’ for that coconut cream cheese frosting. What a wonderful twist! Hope your Christmas turned out wonderful. I can’t see how that cake wouldn’t spark it up 🙂 xo